Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sweeping Away Sunset

The type of photographer I want to be
I love watching Trey Ratcliff's Google+ hangout videos and "variety hours" - they're entertaining and I always learn something new or get good ideas or come away with something interesting to think about.

I was watching Hangout #15 recently where Trey and his guests were discussing how to get great shots with "newbie" gear and how the equipment doesn't matter so long as the photographer is good. About 28 minutes in, Lisa Bettany started making some very good points about the work she did to grow as photographer in finding new angles, interesting viewpoints, and really working to 'notice' and pay attention to the world around her a lot more than she currently was. She commented on how she'd see a pretty tree and take a picture of the tree, but she didn't get underneath the tree or look at the leaves on the ground, she just took the obvious "here's a tree" shot.

As she spoke about this, it hit me that that is the exact same thing I do. I take the obvious shots, but I often let myself be oblivious to all the more interesting details and angles.

I've been doing great so far with sticking to my New Year's resolution of not being a lazy photographer, and making sure I get out and shoot as much as possible. Now I'm giving myself a second resolution to work to become a more observant photographer as well. To look for those details, the interesting lighting, the fleeting little moments, all of it. I think this will be a great improvement to my photography this year.

Wish me luck!

Sweeping Away Sunset
I spent this past weekend with friends in Manzanita on the Oregon coast and experienced some of the craziest weather I've seen in a long time. It was sunny, then snowing, then showering, then hailing, then sunny again, then thundering, then snowing, then raining, then more sun, etc, etc, etc. We were driving around looking for photo ops and I'd see a place where the light was hitting a mountain just perfectly, we'd rush to pull over, and be the time the car was at a full stop just seconds later, the light had already moved on. This photo is great proof - thunderclouds on the right moving in to take over the beautiful sky and sunset on the left. I'm glad I caught this view before the beautiful sky was completely swept away.

No comments:

Post a Comment