Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Spotlight and Shadow

Shelter
I spent this past weekend in a beautiful region of Washington called the Palouse and had a wonderful time photographing rolling hills, spectacular sunrises and sunsets, and barns a century unused and an inch from falling over. On the drive home, there was a looooong stretch, probably a good 10 miles, of nothing but flat farmland with not a single tree to be seen anywhere around. Just a 360-degree view of a flat horizon minus the occasional house or windmill. But not a tree to be seen.

Driving through the area was strangely disconcerting. My theory is that it ties back to the fact that humans have a few basic needs like food, water, and shelter, and driving through such an area leaves you feeling very vulnerable in a primal, gut instinct-ish sortof way. It makes me wonder what it would feel like to live in a place like Kansas or Oklahoma.

Spotlight and Shadow
Mornings in the Palouse were just gorgeous. The light was soft and golden and made everything feel a bit fairy tale-ish. Moments after I noticed this tree behind me, some clouds broke and the morning sunlight hit perfectly for just a few seconds. That 'in the sunshine' happy feeling I'm sure this tree enjoyed is a perfect mimic of how excited I felt grabbing the picture just before the clouds closed and it all disappeared.


No comments:

Post a Comment